Nursing homework help| Nursing homework help
The concept of shared governance allows nurses to take part in the decision-making process that impacts their day-to-day work and patients’ care. The following are ways to encourage shared governance within healthcare organizations:
- Education and Training in Shared Governance: Nurses should be trained and educated on the principles of shared governance. This includes how they can benefit patients and improve outcomes.
- A shared governance structure should be established: Establish a structure of shared governance that has a council or a committee made up of members from nursing who are able to participate in the decision-making process. This council/committee can review policies and make recommendations. They also provide feedback about various initiatives.
- Promote open communication. Encourage communication among nurses staff as well as between them and other healthcare professionals. Facilitate the sharing of ideas and concerns through regular staff meetings, or for nurses to give feedback to managers.
- Encourage trust and respect between staff members and managers. This can be achieved by valuing nurses’ contributions, recognizing their achievements, and providing opportunities for growth and development.
- Participate nursing staff with decision-making. Involve them in decisions that impact their day and the patient’s care outcome, like staffing levels and equipment selection. By doing this, it is possible to create a culture where decisions can be made based on staff’s needs and more easily accepted by patients.