It is crucial that a nurse manager who supervises an employee is able to quickly and effectively address any situation. Below are some suggestions that I might use to remedy the situation.
- Clear communication: It is important to communicate clearly with employees about the performance of their job. It should be conducted in a confidential and non-judgmental environment. It should discuss specific issues that the employee needs to improve and focus on what is going well.
- Performance improvement plan: A PIP is an employee performance plan that outlines the goals and timelines for the improvement of the employee. A PIP should include specific goals and timelines as well as resources to help the employee improve their performance. Regular review of the PIP is necessary, along with regular feedback to employees on progress.
- Education and training: To improve skills and knowledge, it may prove useful to offer employees additional education and training. These could include on-the-job training or continuing education.
- Employee support and resources You could have additional resources or mentorship or other health professionals available to offer guidance.
- Accountability and follow-up: It is essential that employees are accountable and held responsible for their actions. These can include periodic check-ins, feedback and continuous monitoring of the employee’s performance.
Employee performance is something that must be addressed promptly and in a positive manner. This should include a strong focus on employee success and a commitment to improving performance. These strategies can be used by nursing managers to help their employees achieve the highest standards and deliver high-quality care.