Strategies & Quality Practice
Below are some ways professional nurses could advocate the implementation of nursing theory to ensure quality practice.
- Encourage colleagues: Professional nurses can help colleagues understand the value of nursing theory and how it is used to improve their practice. These can take the form of presentations, discussion, or casual conversations.
- Include nursing theory and care plans. Professional nurses can include nursing theory and care plans to show patients how they can use it.
- Research: Professional nurses can do research to demonstrate the benefits of nursing theory for improving patient care outcomes. To show how nursing theory can be applied in practice, this research could be shared with administrators and colleagues.
- Work with nurses theorists. A professional nurse may collaborate with nursing theory experts to help develop and apply nursing theories to the context of their work environment. This can make sure that nursing theory is used in an effective and meaningful way.
- Advocate for policy changes: Professional nurses can promote policy that encourages the use of nursing theory to support quality practice. To promote integration of nursing theories into healthcare policy and guidelines, professional associations and policymakers can help.
A professional nurse may use many strategies to promote the implementation of nursing theory in order to provide quality care. Nurses can promote the use of nursing theory to improve the patient experience and quality of their care.