What aspects of brain development are responsible for the incredible gains made in
- Early childhood brain development is marked by fast growth and new neural connections. The development of the prefrontal cortex is significant during this period, which is responsible for decision-making and higher-level thinking. The brain’s language centers also develop which allows for language processing and acquisition. As the cerebellum matures, motor control improves.
- Children may find it easier to have social interactions with other people, even if they are not playing a lot. These children may be able to communicate well and have good emotional regulation skills. Children with difficulties in adjustment might have difficulty communicating and may not be able to interact with others.
- Through guidance and observation from adults, children can help to distinguish moral imperatives and social conventions. The ability to help children distinguish between right or wrong and the importance of adhering to social norms is something adults can assist with. Through feedback and experience, children learn how to respond in different circumstances.
- The social environment and young children’s cognitive limitations contribute to rigid gender stereotyping in early childhood. Many children learn gender expectations through socialization and observation. Young children might not be able to comprehend that gender roles have been socially constructed. As a result, they may adhere to certain stereotypes. Adults can reinforce gender roles by their behavior and expectations.
- It has been shown that there are cultural differences in how children are raised. For example, some cultures have a greater focus on respecting authority figures and obedience. The concept of authoritative parenting is characterized by warmth, support, consistent expectations and rules, and a high level of consistency across cultures. This type of parenting encourages independence and self-determination in children, and also promotes good social and emotional outcomes. It is essential to take into consideration cultural differences when comparing parenting styles across cultures.