Transcultural nursing 3.2 | Nursing homework help
Transcultural nursing refers to a method that allows nurses and other health professionals to offer culturally appropriate care, while also taking into consideration individual needs. Five core principles are available to help guide community nursing practice.
1. Respect for Cultural Diversity- Nursing staff should be sensitive to the differences in culture and provide compassionate care.
2. Awareness of culture- Health practitioners should be aware of both their own cultures as well as those of their patients in order to better meet each individual’s needs.
3. Culture knowledge – Nurses need to be able to understand the impact of different cultures on healthcare decisions and any possible disparities.
4. Cultural sensibility – Caregivers must have a deep understanding of and an appreciation for different values, beliefs, and practices to communicate well with all people.
5. Cultural competence – It is the ability to apply what you have learned from education, experience or observation in order to provide services that allow people of diverse backgrounds access high quality healthcare without prejudice or discrimination.