A nursing theoretical framework that supports evidence-based practice
It provides an understanding of the principles and practices that underpin nursing. Nursing theory is a framework that can be used to guide future professionals in the application of evidence-based practices and knowledge. One nursing theory that can be applied is the “Adaptation Model” developed by Sister Callista Roy.
The Adaptation Model emphasizes the importance of adapting to changes in the environment and in the patient’s health status. The model includes four main components: the patient (patient), environment, health and nursing. These steps can help you to use this model for guidance in the application of evidence-based practices and translation of knowledge.
- Assessment: Assess the patient’s current health status and the environmental factors that may impact their health. Use evidence-based tools and assessments to gather information about the patient’s health and identify areas for improvement.
- Diagnosis: Use the information gathered in the assessment to identify the patient’s health needs and areas where evidence-based interventions can be implemented. This will guide the development of a nursing diagnosis that is focused on the patient’s adaptation to their environment and health status.
- Planning: Use the nursing diagnosis to create a plan for care. It should include evidence-based intervention. The plan of care should consider the patient’s goals and preferences, as well as the resources available in the environment.
- Implementation: Implement the plan of care by providing evidence-based interventions that are designed to promote the patient’s adaptation to their environment and health status. It may include education and interventions as well collaboration with healthcare professionals.
- Evaluation: Assess the efficacy of interventions and make adjustments to the care plan as necessary. Use evidence-based tools and assessments to measure the patient’s progress and make adjustments to the plan of care as needed.
In summary, the Adaptation Model can guide the translation of knowledge and implementation of evidence-based practice in nursing by emphasizing the importance of adapting to changes in the patient’s environment and health status. Nurses can use the model to provide compassionate, patient-centered care that’s based upon the most current evidence.